Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Bits & Bites: The real Martini? In.

I generally don't like cocktail snobbery (who cares if someone "orders" incorrectly? To each her own), but a few sage words written by a "Martini Classicist" in the NYT (click here) today gave me reason to pause and re-consider my blatant irreverence for the original, unadulterated martini.

Definition a la Merriam Webster: mar•ti•ni• n : a cocktail made of gin and dry vermouth

And so, as an eager-to-reform member of the “generation lobotomized by vodka,” I'd like to re-visit my penchant for a martini after an official gin tasting extravaganza. Will I be able to detect hints of cardamom, cinnamon, lemon peel in these gins? Who knows. In fact, I may not end up liking any of them, but I'll try it before I knock it...
I prefer ordering my beloved dirty martini Ketel with a splash of olive juice on the rocks anyways!

Any one else game for some gin tasting?

1 comment:

James Weir said...

If you get to a gin tasting, try small batch distilleries such as Bend Distillery that hand makes their desert juniper gin from hand picked wild juniper berries. find it at www.bendistillery.com or just buy a bottle from getsuminc.com While you're at it pick up a bottle of the hazelnut espresso vodka, the real pepper infused vodka for your famous bloody mary's, and a bottle of the cascade vodka. My brother who's a serious alcohol conesieur considered importing it to his favorite bars in west hollywood. Happy Drinking.