Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Bookmark: Solo Suppers

Last night I found myself so exhausted and sore from running a half-marathon on Sunday that I couldn't really move. So I decided to get into bed at 7:30 p.m., ice packs and all, and surround myself with indulgent reading material—my new cookbooks.

First up: Joyce Goldstein's latest, Solo Suppers. You know, dinners for one. Uno. (This little treasure was in my X-mas stocking, and though I love my mom's enthusiasm for embracing my singleness, she forgot that I live with my best friend and dinners are always for two.) So despite the fact that I have to double every recipe in the book, I would like to say it was simply fabulous. Goldstein's unwavering stance on which gourmet products must never be compromised are dead-on, and she conveniently offers tips on ways to budget accordingly—particularly in the wine department with the Private Reserve wine preservative spray (genius). Her section on sauces alone was enough to make me want to clear my schedule next Sunday, and spend an entire day preparing each one (which, when stored properly, will last in the refrigerator for up to four months.) So when I'm craving a dollop (or four) of mango chutney on some leftover pork, it's right on hand. Her eclectic mix of dishes leans a bit heavily on the Italian side; however, the suggestions throughout for variations on a theme (flavoritively, speaking) will encourage any one with a sense of adventure or improv to fool around with new combinations of spice and circumstance. The single most delightful discovery of the book, though, was the recipe for Parmesan Cheese Pudding. In Italian, it's called sformato. It appears a smoother, molded version of a polenta cake, but the ingredients promise a custardy, Parmesany, melt-in-your-mouth lightness. She offers three sauces to pair with it, omitting the inclusion of vegetables due to a self-proclaimed cheese obsession. That said, I will be trying it this weekend with vegetables...

Any one have a sformato tale or advice? Do tell...

No comments: